The Top 10 Things to Know Before You Get Braces
Getting braces can be exciting, maybe even a little bit overwhelming. But it doesn’t have to be scary. With the right information, guidance and preparation, getting braces is a fun, worthwhile experience! Here are some things to know before you get braces.
1. It’s not just about your smile. While many people think of braces simply as a way to straighten your teeth, we recommend braces more often to correct teeth, bite or jaw alignment issues that can significantly affect your long-term health.
2. Get your dental work done before you get braces. Schedule your dental appointments to get your teeth cleaned and have any fillings or other issues taken care of before you get your braces.
3. You’ll need to adjust your eating habits. You may need to temporarily limit or even eliminate certain foods that can cause problems once you get braces, including anything gummy or sticky, like gum or taffy, or anything hard and crunchy. Fortunately, there are still lots of yummy things you can eat.
4. They may feel weird, but they don’t hurt. While getting braces on really doesn’t hurt, the sensation of having brackets attached to your teeth or the change in pressure against your teeth may make your mouth temporarily sore or achy. Take an over-the-counter painkiller, rinse your mouth with saltwater, and give yourself some time to adjust. You’ll be feeling back to normal in a few days.
5. There’s more than one kind of braces. Thanks to significant advances in the orthodontic industry, there are many more options besides traditional braces available today – from nearly invisible ceramic braces, to self-ligating braces that don’t require elastics, to Invisalign clear aligners. We can help you figure out the best choice for your specific situation.
6. There’s no age limit. Adults, teens and children alike are getting braces to improve their smiles. Today, more orthodontists are treating adults with discreet options, such as ceramic braces or customized clear aligner treatments like Invisalign.
7. Your teeth (and smile) will quickly change. Braces work pretty quickly to reshape your teeth and jaw. Even if your treatment is scheduled to take a year or 18 months, you will start to see changes to your smile within weeks of starting treatment.
8. Be patient. Typical treatment plans require patients to wear braces anywhere from eight months to up to two years, depending on how much work needs to be done. If you embrace the process with a positive outlook and keep the end goal of a healthier smile in mind, you’ll be surprised how quickly your treatment goes.
9. Choose the right orthodontist. Having the right orthodontic team with you throughout your treatment makes the entire process more comfortable and relaxed. Start with a free consultation so you can get any questions answered. Take a tour of the office and meet the orthodontist and staff so you know who’s going to be there for you during your treatment.
10. They’re more affordable than you think. At Fravel Brewer Orthodontics, we do everything we can to make orthodontic treatment affordable. Let us show you how payment options, discounts, FSAs and insurance can help you manage the cost of braces, Invisalign and other quality orthodontic treatment.
There is nothing like having a healthy, straight smile, and braces will definitely boost your confidence and make you smile more. If you are thinking about getting braces or have questions about living with braces or Invisalign, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We would love to help you find the right solution!
Fravel and Brewer Orthodontics has been helping patients achieve beautiful smiles as the preferred orthodontist in Winter Garden, Ocoee, and West Orange County, Florida for almost 30 years. Treatment options for kids and adults include Invisalign, Invisalign Teen, ceramic braces, and silver braces. Call us at (407) 656-0001 to schedule a free consultation today!