Braces and Fall Sports: Safeguarding Your Smile
Fall brings a host of exciting activities, including one of the most anticipated events for many: Sports Season! Whether it’s football, soccer, or lacrosse, fall sports provide not only a thrilling athletic experience but also a sense of camaraderie and competition. For those undergoing orthodontic treatment or those with braces in Orlando, these sports can be enjoyable but come with unique challenges. That’s where mouth guards play a pivotal role in safeguarding your smile during this season of intense physical activity. Ready to tackle fall sports with braces? Check out our Fravel Brewer ultimate guide to protecting your smile!
The Orthodontic Challenge: Braces and Fall Sports
If you have braces, you’re already familiar with the care and attention they require. However, fall sports, with their rough and often contact-heavy nature, can pose a risk to your orthodontic progress. Here’s why:
- Impact and Trauma: Contact sports like football and field hockey can damage braces. A collision, tackle, or accidental elbow to the face can cause brackets to break. This could potentially extend your treatment time if not addressed promptly.
- Injury Risk: Mouths with braces left unprotected are at greater risk of injuries like broken teeth, lip and cheek cuts, and jaw injuries. These injuries can be painful and require additional dental work.
- Adapting to Mouth Guards: Athletes with braces may find it initially uncomfortable to wear a mouthguard, especially if it requires adjustments to accommodate braces. This adaptation period can affect an athlete’s performance during sports until they become accustomed to the mouthguard.
The Solution: Mouthguards for Orthodontic Patients
Mouthguards are the unsung heroes of fall sports when it comes to protecting your smile during orthodontic treatment. Here’s why every Orlando orthodontic patient participating in fall sports should consider wearing one:
- Orthodontic Protection: Mouthguards act as a cushion for your braces. They reduce the risk of brackets and wires breaking or injuring your lips and cheeks during contact sports.
- Tooth and Gum Shield: Mouthguards provide a protective barrier for your teeth, reducing the risk of chipping or breaking them during accidental falls or collisions.
- Jaw Joint Protection: They can also help absorb the impact, reducing the risk of jaw joint injuries, which can be common in contact sports.
Types of Mouthguards
There are several types of mouthguards available, and the choice depends on your specific needs and comfort:
- Stock Mouthguards: These are pre-made and ready to use but may not offer a perfect fit for those with braces.
- Boil-and-Bite Mouthguards: These are softened in hot water and then molded to your teeth for a better fit. While they are more customizable, they may need adjustments to accommodate braces.
- Custom-Fitted Mouthguards: These are created by your orthodontist to provide the best fit, ensuring maximum protection for your teeth and braces.
How to Care for Your Mouthguard
Proper care of your mouthguard is essential to maintain its effectiveness and hygiene:
- Rinse it before and after each use with cold water or mouthwash.
- Store it in a well-ventilated container to prevent bacterial growth.
- Avoid exposing it to high temperatures, as it can deform and lose its shape.
- Regularly check for wear and tear and replace it if damaged.
Fall sports season can be a thrilling time for athletes, even those with braces. However, protecting your smile and your orthodontic progress should be a top priority. Investing in a suitable mouth guard can make all the difference in ensuring you enjoy your favorite sports while safeguarding your braces and oral health.
If you’re unsure about which mouthguard is best for you or your child, consult your orthodontist. They can provide guidance on the right type and offer custom-fitted options, ensuring that you have the best protection for your unique needs. Remember, a well-protected smile leads to a confident and successful sports season.
Exploring braces during your fall sports season? Reach out to Fravel Brewer Orthodontics now for your no-cost consultation and protect your smile today!
Fravel Brewer Orthodontics has been helping patients achieve beautiful smiles as the preferred orthodontist in Winter Garden, Ocoee, and West Orange County, Florida for almost 30 years. Treatment options for kids and adults include Invisalign, Invisalign Teen, ceramic braces, and silver braces. Call us at (407) 656-0001 to schedule a free consultation today!